Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Death

So, those of you who know me are probably aware that my mother was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer back in the summer of 2006.

At the time, we were told that she would have "months." Nothing more certain than that. Amazingly, she's been with us for 28 of them so far. And most of that time has been better than I would have expected. I mean, she's had her rough spots. Time spent in the hospital due to complications with both her cancer and her diabetes. But I really couldn't complain much.

That said, it's finally hit home to me that it would take a minor miracle for my mother to be alive once 2009 comes.

I say this after spending the evening with my parents tonight. She's listless. Lacking the spark of life that made her the woman she was for the previous 50+ years. I know now, without doubt, that she's ready to go.

The question is...am I ready to say goodbye?

No comments: